Best Sweetcorn Fritters
Transferring fritters to a preheated oven helps to cook them through and keep them warm while cooking a batch for family or friends.
Write a review
- 2 cups corn kernels (fresh, canned or frozen)
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper, finely chopped
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup self raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 25g butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Mix together corn, spring onion and red capsicum in a bowl.
- Stir in the egg yolks then flour and baking soda. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until soft peaks form when the beater is lifted from the whites.
- Gently mix the whites into the corn mixture, taking care not to overmix.
- Melt a knob of butter and a drizzle of oil in a frying pan over a moderate heat, cook large spoonfuls of mixture in batches until golden on both sides and cooked through. Add more oil and butter to the pan as needed.
Tips and Hints
- Transferring the fritters to a preheated oven (180°C) helps to make sure the fritters are cooked through and also keep them warm while the others are still cooking.
- To substitute regular flour for the self-raising add 1 rounded teaspoon of baking powder to ¾ cup regular flour.
I Love Eggs http://eggs.org.nz/