A simply tasty salad from the new Dinner Cracked recipe collection.
Write a review
- 1 medium sized carrot
- 1 small parsnip
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup walnut pieces
- 5 slices streaky bacon
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup croutons*
- 2-3 handfuls salad greens e.g. rocket, baby spinach
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 3 extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Cut the carrots and parsnips into 3-5cm sticks. Place the vegetables in a small baking dish, drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper and bake for 30 minutes until golden and tender. Allow to cool a little before using.
- While the vegetables are cooking, lightly toast the walnuts (just until they are fragrant and starting to change colour) in small frying pan over a medium heat.
- Transfer the walnuts to a bowl and in the same pan cook the bacon until just crisp. When cool enough to handle, roughly chop.
- Heat a large pan of water until boiling and then reduce to a simmer.
- Toss the salad leaves, spring onions, carrot, parsnip, walnuts, bacon, and croutons in a large bowl and then divide between 4 individual bowls or plates.
- Mix together the oil and vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle each salad with a little dressing.
- Poach the eggs in the simmering water until the whites are opaque and then sit one on top of each salad. Serve immediately.
Tips and Hints
- *Croutons are easily made by slicing day old bakery bread into chunks, drizzle with a little oil and bake until golden and crisp. You can also use store bought readymade croutons.
- *If you don’t have white wine vinegar then you can use any other vinegar, or you could use lemon juice.
- Serves 4 for just $12.90
I Love Eggs http://eggs.org.nz/