These crunchy, cheesy baskets make a great breakfast - perfect for a brekkie on the run too. Kids just love them!
Write a review
- 12 slices whole-wheat bread
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup Trim milk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup Swiss or Tasty cheese, grated
- STEP 1 Remove crusts from bread and, using a rolling pin, roll each slice of bread to approximately 1 cm thick. Spread one side of each bread slice with butter. With the buttered side facing down, press each slice firmly into muffin cups (large, 12 muffin cup size). Bake at 160°C for 10 minutes.
- STEP 2 Meanwhile, combine eggs, milk, Dijon mustard and cayenne pepper in a medium sized bowl.
- Set aside. Sauté bacon until almost crisp. Add spring onions and continue to cook until onions have softened. Drain fat. Divide bacon and onion mixture evenly into the 12 bread cups. Pour some of the egg mixture into each cup, allowing mixture to be partially absorbed. Continue to add more egg mixture, filling to about 3/4 of each bread cup. Sprinkle each cup with grated cheese.
- STEP 3 Bake at 160°C for 15-18 minutes or until golden and puffed.
- Courtesy of: Manitoba Egg Farmers www.eggs.mb.ca
I Love Eggs http://eggs.org.nz/