Watch the ‘how-to-video’ below…
Easy Caramelised Onion and Ham Tart
This simple tart looks sensational and tastes as good as it looks - serve warm or cold for dinner or a summery lunch. Serves 4 for $13.
Write a review
- 2-3 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 25g butter
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (optional)
- 1 ½ frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 tablespoon capers (optional)
- 1/3 cup black olives, pitted (optional)
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 150g sliced ham, roughly chopped
- 4-5 eggs, hardboiled
- large handful rocket leaves
- Place the onion, oil and butter in a large shallow saucepan. Cook over a gentle heat for 20 minutes until tender.
- Mix in the balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, wholegrain mustard and thyme leaves, cook for a further 5 minutes. The onions should be a rich caramel colour, if not then cook a little longer. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Arrange the pastry end to end on a baking tray, pressing to join with a 1 cm overlap. Fold the pastry in to create a 1.5cm ridge around the outside.
- Spread the onion over the pastry base, staying within the ridge. Scatter with capers and olives.
- Brush the pastry edge witht the whisked egg.
- Bake for 10 -15 minutes until the pastry is golden and puffed.
- Halve or quarter the eggs and arrange on the warm tart along with ham and rocket leaves.
- Rocket leaves offer an interesting peppery flavour on the top but you can also serve this with lettuce leaves alongside.
I Love Eggs http://eggs.org.nz/