Kumara Hash Egg Muffins
These kumara hash egg muffins are kind of like a cooked breakfast in one. These ‘muffins’ have a kumara hash bottom, a layer of spinach, mushroom and cheese and are then topped with an egg. A couple of these provide a nourishing breakfast you can eat on the run.
Write a review
- 1 large kumara, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp powdered garlic
- ½ cup grated cheese
- 3 large handfuls of baby spinach, washed
- 6 large free range eggs
- 6 mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon pesto
- Optional: Smoked salmon slices, or bacon
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Place the grated kumara in a bowl and season with a little salt. Mix and leave for a couple of minutes. With clean hands, take handfuls of the kumara and squeeze out extra fluid. Place squeezed kumara back in the bowl and sprinkle over the garlic powder and season with cracked pepper.
- Line texas muffin tins with baking paper, or grease well. Press the kumara evenly into the bottom of the muffin tins. Bake for 12 minutes.
- While the kumara is cooking, heat a fry pan over a medium heat. Add the chopped mushrooms and pesto, stirring often until cooked (around 4-5 minutes). Set aside in a small bowl. Add the baby spinach and heat through until wilted. Squeeze out excess moisture – otherwise it will make the kumara soggy.
- Grate the cheese. When the kumara has finished cooking, sprinkle half of the grated cheese evenly over the kumara bases. Add the mushrooms and spinach, then top with remaining cheese. If using smoked salmon or bacon, you could add these now. Cook the bacon before using so it’s crispy .
- Crack an egg on top each of the bases. Lightly prick the yolk with a skewer.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the egg is cooked.
I Love Eggs http://eggs.org.nz/
Credits: Recipe and image courtesy of Nicola at eatwellnz.co.nz