Fresh mayonnaise is really very simple, and so quick to make. And cheap! This recipe makes about one cup of fresh mayonnaise.
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of pepper
- 1 cup of oil (sunflower, corn, olive, or other)
- Place the egg yolk in a deep, heavy mixing bowl.
- Using a whisk, beat in the mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Very, very slowly start to pour in the oil while mixing all the time, until all the oil is in.
- Season to taste
- Because homemade mayonnaise is made with raw egg yolk, you should store it in the fridge, and not keep it for too long. Three days maximum is recommended. After that – why not just make some more by repeating the simple process above.