Orange Kumara Frittata
Orange kumara is the sweetest and creamiest of all the varieties available in New Zealand. A kiwi version of a very popular, easy frittata recipe.
Write a review
- 1 medium size orange kumara (about 500g) - pre cooked, and cut into small cubes
- 4 rashers of bacon, chopped
- 1 medium size white onion finely chopped
- 2 courgettes - sliced
- 8 eggs
- 3/4 cup grated tasty cheese
- 1 small handful of fresh thyme
- A little oil for frying
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat grill to medium, or the oven to 170°C.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs together and season with salt and pepper. Add herbs to the egg mixture. Pour the egg mixture over the bacon and vegetables in the pan and stir to mix evenly.
- In a 26cm frying pan or similar fry the bacon and onion until just cooked. Add the cooked kumara and courgette. Continue to cook for about 1 minute then add half the cheese and stir again gently to allow the runny egg to flow onto the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on to the top of the frittata and finish cooking under the grill (or just bake in the oven) until set and starting to golden.
- NB You'll need to use an oven proof pan or small casserole dish if you want to cook this in the oven.
- You can used any left over kumara in this recipe.
- Alternatively cook a raw kumara on med-high in the microwave for approx 4 minutes (NB prick the kumara skin a few times with a fork, to stop the skin exploding when cooking).
I Love Eggs http://eggs.org.nz/