Scrambled Pita Pockets
Dinner time? Lunch time? or Anytime! These filled pita pockets are a yummy meal in one.
Write a review
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- ½ green pepper, diced
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped
- 5 eggs, lightly whisked
- 100g feta, crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 4 pita bread pockets, warmed
- Heat the oil in large frying pan over a low-medium heat and gently cook the onion, garlic and peppers for 10-15 minutes or until just tender.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for a further 10 minutes until tomatoes have softened and some of the excess liquid has evaporated.
- While the tomato mixture is cooking, lightly whisk the eggs together in a bowl and warm the pita pockets either in the toaster or microwave.
- Gently pour the eggs into the pan, stirring gently just to incorporate eggs and the pan ingredients.
- Cook just until the egg thickens, about 3-5 minutes, before sprinkling over the feta and chopped parsley.
- Halve the warmed pita pockets and spoon in the egg mixture, serve at once.
Tips and Hints
- The first 6 ingredients can be cooked in advance then reheated and eggs added just before serving.
- 1 clove garlic is about the same as a teaspoon of crushed garlic out of the jar.
- Any leftover feta will last a few days in the fridge and can be added to salads etc. It can also be frozen but once thawed is best used in recipes where it is cooked - the flavour will be the same but the texture may not be quite as good.
- Serves 4 for under $11
I Love Eggs http://eggs.org.nz/