Watch the ‘how-to-video’ below…
Super Easy Egg, Bacon and Hash Bake
A meal in one... a very satisfying dish for all ages, all year round.
Write a review
- 6-7 frozen hash browns
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 slices bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 8 eggs
- ¾ cup cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Brush a lasagne style rectangular baking dish with oil.
- Arrange a single layer of the hash browns over the base of the dish, trimming to fit as needed.
- Heat a film of oil in a frying pan and cook the onion, capsicum and bacon for 10 minutes or until just tender.
- Place the dish with hash browns in the oven and cook for 8-10 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Whisk the eggs with the cream and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the onion, capsicum and bacon over the hash browns. Cover with tomatoes and sprinkle with basil and oregano.
- Pour over the egg mixture. Bake for 20-30 minutes until the mixture is just set. Allow to sit for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with a green salad.
Tips and Hints
- Shoulder bacon is well priced and has a good meat to fat ratio so it is good to use in recipes like this, but you can use any bacon that you have available.
- If you don’t have fresh basil leaves but like the flavour, then substitute with a few dollops of readymade basil pesto.
- Red onion has a lovely mild flavour but you can use a brown onion instead.
- Serve 5 for under $15
I Love Eggs http://eggs.org.nz/