Eggs for breakfast don’t have to take a lot of time. This is my favourite way to have a quick egg based breakfast (especially during the week before I head off for a busy day of work!) – plus it’s a good way to get an extra serve of vegetables into your day.
- 2 eggs
- Optional – 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh herbs (eg parsley, basil)
- 1-2 teaspoons pesto
- Juice from ½ lemon
- ¼ avocado, sliced
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- Wholemeal sourdough bread (or whatever bread you fancy)
- Salt and pepper to season
- Simply crack 2 eggs into a ramekin, mix well with a fork, season with pepper, add the herbs if using and microwave for 1 ½ minutes, stirring half way. Cover it well with paper towel as the egg can ‘pop’ and make a mess! Or if it pops when you take it out it could hit you and hurt!
- Place a handful of baby spinach on a slice of toasted bread, top with the cooked egg and sliced avocado. In a small dish, mix the pesto and lemon juice and drizzle over the egg.
- Season with salt and pepper and enjoy for a super quick, protein packed breakfast that also gives you a serve of vegetables too.
Credits: Recipe and image courtesy of Nicola at www.eatwellnz.co.nz