Who can resist the fantastic taste of spring and fresh asparagus. Boiling the spears quickly in water first gives you a head start in this recipe, but be careful not to overcook them as they will finish cooking in the mixture.
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 4 rashers of bacon, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh Asparagus
- 1 cup freshly chopped mixed herbs (eg parsley, basil)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat grill to 180C.
- Fry off the chopped bacon in a medium sized pan, on medium heat.
- Meanwhile in a pot, quickly cook the asparagus in boiling water for 3 minutes then cool immediately under cold running water – or even better, place it into iced water in a bowl. This process helps to retain the bright green colour.
- Gently beat the eggs in a bowl and add half the cheese and herbs. Season with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pour the mix into the heated pan.
- Cook on a low heat for 5-6 minutes gently moving the egg mix around the pan so the egg mix settles and starts to cook evenly and firm up.
- Lay the asparagus spears on top. Sprinkle over remaining cheese then place the pan under a pre heated grill and cook the frittata for 3-5 minutes or until set and golden.
- Serve hot or cold with salad, sauces or relish. Salt and pepper to taste.
TIPS: We peeled the asparagus before cooking, which gives it a much brighter colour.
The edges will crisp up a little during cooking in the pan which gives a nice firm edge to the frittata.
- Serving Size: 4