A meal in a roll.
- 4 kaiser bread rolls (or any other dinner type roll 10 cm diameter)
- 4 slices ham
- 4 eggs
- Pinch salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup Tomato Salsa
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. Halve rolls horizontally; set tops aside.
- STEP 2 Hollow out bottom of rolls with a spoon, leaving about 1 cm all around. Reserve hollowed-out bread for another use. Place bread bowls on prepared pan.
- STEP 3 Arrange slice of ham in bottom of each bowl. Crack 1 egg into each bread bowl. Season with salt and pepper; top with cheese.
- STEP 4 Bake until cheese is melted, egg whites are set and yolks are cooked to desired doneness, approximately 20 to 25 minutes. Add reserved tops to baking sheet during last 5 minutes of baking time. Top with salsa and serve with toasted tops.
- • Use the hollowed-out bread to make bread crumbs, croutons, stuffing or bread and butter puddings.
- • Garnish with chopped fresh chives or parsley.
- • Use mild, medium or aged Cheddar cheese, or try smoked Cheddar or Tasty cheese for extra flavour.
- Courtesy of: Manitoba Egg Farmers www.eggs.mb.ca
- Serving Size: 4