“One of the great things about eggs is how quickly they can be transformed into an utterly delicious dish with a few bits and bobs from the fridge or pantry,” says Julie.
“Eggs have saved the Biuso family from starvation on many a night. I’d be home late with no time to shop, the kids would be fractious, the husband nagging (true!) and I’d open the fridge hoping to find something there, and, oh the relief to find a dozen eggs! With a bit of cheese or bacon, a few tomatoes, some herbs from the garden, and maybe a salad and bread, I could have a tasty and substantial meal on the table in no time.”
This is a scrumptious and substantial recipe that really sorts you out after a big night!
- 1 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, plus extra for frying eggs
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- Salt and flaky sea salt
- 425g can black beans (look for organic beans with low sodium)
- 4 Tbsp chilli sauce of some sort
- 1 perfectly ripe avocado
- 1–2 limes cut into wedges
- 4 soft wheat tortillas (or use sliced ciabatta bread)
- 4 medium (size 6) eggs
- Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp chopped coriander
- Put onion in a medium frying pan with oil and cook gently until tender but not coloured. Transfer half the onion and most of the oil to a saucepan and set pan over a medium heat. Heat onion, then add cumin and paprika, stir, then add tomatoes. Bring to a gentle boil, then lower heat and cook gently for about 15 minutes until pulpy. Season with ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Drain beans in a sieve, rinse well, then drain again. Add beans and chilli sauce to onion remaining in frying pan and cook very gently for 3-5 minutes, mashing the beans a little.
- Halve avocado, remove stone, then peel. Cut into cubes and drizzle with lime juice.
- Toast tortillas in a hot, dry frying pan for a few minutes a side, or wrap in paper towels and warm briefly in a microwave. Put tortillas on plates.
- Fry eggs in hot oil, spooning some of the hot oil over the egg whites as they cook. Spread beans on tortillas, add tomato sauce in blobs, then put fried eggs on top. Season eggs with sea salt, add avocado around the sides and sprinkle with coriander. Serve immediately with lime wedges.
- Serving Size: 4