Delicious, irresistible, and a Kiwi favourite since… forever! Served straight from the oven or cold in a picnic at a park or the beach, nothing beats the taste of a classic bacon and egg pie!
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup bacon, chopped
- 1 Spring onion, chopped
- 1 Egg yolk beaten with a tablespoon of water
- 1 Salt and pepper to taste
- 400g block (or sheets) of store bought ‘puff’ pastry
- Bacon & Egg Pie is so easy to make and a real kiwi classic enjoyed by generations.
- Great for lunches, brunches, dinner or a picnic.
- You will need a 20.5 x 20.5cm cake pan, or alternatively a round 23cm pie dish is ideal.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Roll out two thirds of the pastry on a floury bench to line a shallow greased 23cm pie tin.
- Scatter over spring onion and half of the bacon, break in the eggs and season, then scatter on the remaining bacon.
- Roll out the remaining pastry to make a lid.
- Crimp the pastry edges together with your fingers and trim off any excess.
- Use the trimmings to decorate the pie if you wish (attach these with a dab of egg wash).
- Cut four small vents in the pastry lid with a sharp knife.
- Brush with beaten egg mix and bake 35 – 40 minutes until rich golden brown and crispy.
- Serve warm – or cold.
- Serving Size: 6