- 1 head romaine or cos lettuce
- 180 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 45 ml red wine vinegar
- 5 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 3g salt
- 2g ground mustard
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 2 Size 7 eggs (1 for dressing/1 x to serve)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 20g grated Parmesan cheese
- 170g garlic croutons
- 45g anchovy filets
- 2 small tomatoes (optional)
- Clean lettuce thoroughly and wrap in paper towels to absorb moisture.
- Refrigerate until crisp, at least 1 hour or more.
- In a bowl or jar combine oil, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, mustard, garlic and lemon juice. Whisk until well blended.
- Coddle egg by heating 3 cups of water to boiling. Drop in egg (still in shell) and let stand for 1 minute.
- Remove egg from water and let cool.
- Once cooled crack open and whisk egg into dressing until thoroughly blended.
- Mash desired amount of anchovies and whisk them into the dressing.
- If desired set aside a few for serving garnish.
- To assemble, place torn lettuce leaves into a large bowl.
- Pour dressing over the top and toss lightly.
- Add the grated cheese, croutons, tomatoes, and freshly ground pepper.
- Toss lightly.
- Serve immediately
- Optional: You can also add a freshly poached runny egg on top – for extra taste, dressing and visual appearance.