It’s amazing how something as simple as eggs, flour and milk can puff up in the oven into the most gorgeous looking dish. A Dutch Baby is like a pancake crossed with a yorkshire pudding. It can be served for breakfast but they make a delicious dessert too.
- 3 Size 7 eggs
- 160 ml (⅔ cup) milk
- 80 gm (⅔ cup) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 60 gm butter
- 1 pinch salt – if using unsalted butter
- Icing sugar – for dusting
- A selection of fresh berries (e.g. raspberries, strawberries, blueberries) of fruit. NB: you can also substitute frozen berries, these must be thawed fully prior to use.
- Whipped cream or fresh Yoghurt – to serve
- In a blender add the eggs, milk, flour, vanilla, lemon juice, lemon zest (and pinch of salt if using unsalted butter).
- Pulse until the mix is well blended – Let the mixture rest for 20 minutes.
- While the mixture rests, preheat the oven to 220 -230 degrees, with a cast iron or oven proof frying pan or skillet in the oven.
- Remove the pan or skillet from oven (be careful as it is VERY hot) and add the butter. Let it fully melt and coat all the edges of the pan.
- Pour in the batter, and place straight back in to the oven.
- Cook for 20 minutes until it puffs up and the edges are nice and golden brown. NB: Do not open the oven door during this cooking process.
- Remove pan from oven. Dust with icing sugar, and top with fresh or pre thawed frozen berries.
- Serve immediately with whipped cream or yoghurt.