Traditional egg nog recipes – uncooked and cooked versions. A favourite of northern hemisphere Christmas celebrations.
- 4 Size 7 eggs – separated*
- ⅓ cup (65g) sugar
- 500ml milk
- 250ml cream
- 100ml Liquor to your taste e.g.; bourbon, rum or brandy
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 egg whites*
- Grated nutmeg and cinnamon to serve
NB: This recipe contains uncooked egg. For a cooked eggnog recipe see notes below
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in colour. Gradually add the 65g of sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Add the milk, cream, liquor and nutmeg and stir to combine.
- Add the 4 egg whites into another mixer bowl and beat them until soft peaks appear. With the mixer running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Whisk the egg whites back into the yolks mixture in the other bowl.
- Chill in the fridge for 60-90 mins and serve with a sprinkle of nutmeg and cinnamon on the top.
- Ice cubes can be added if you are in a warm climate.
- For extra festive effect insert a cinnamon stick to use as a swizzle stick.
For a ‘cooked’ eggnog
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in colour. Gradually add the 65g of sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, over high heat combine milk, cream and nutmeg and bring just to the boil, stirring occasionally to avoid burning.
- Remove pan from the heat and gradually pour the hot mixture back into the egg and sugar mixture combining gently with a whisk. Return everything back to the saucepan and heat until the mixture reaches 70 deg C, or just off boiling point.
- Remove from heat, stir in the liquor, and then pour into a large bowl or jug, and put in the refrigerator to cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks, with the mixer running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Whisk the egg whites into the chilled mixture and serve in glasses or mugs. Sprinkle grated nutmeg on top to serve.
- Serving Size: 6