“Eggs have saved the Biuso family from starvation on many a night. I’d be home late with no time to shop, the kids would be fractious, the husband nagging (true!) and I’d open the fridge hoping to find something there, and, oh the relief to find a dozen eggs! With a bit of cheese or bacon, a few tomatoes, some herbs from the garden, and maybe a salad and bread, I could have a tasty and substantial meal on the table in no time.”
“One of the great things about eggs is how quickly they can be transformed into an utterly delicious dish with a few bits and bobs from the fridge or pantry,” says Julie.
Hot, rich and savoury, soft pillows of creamy eggs atop tortillas are given a nice little zing with chilli sauce and a pungent edge with coriander. It’s an easy dish to pull together quickly for brunch or a light dinner.
- 1 cup diced ham off the bone, or substitute fried mushrooms, leftover roast chicken or flaked hot-smoked salmon
- 6 slim spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- 8 medium (size 6) eggs, at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp cream
- 4 soft wheat tortillas
- ¾ cup grated vintage or tasty cheddar
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- ½ cup crumbled creamy-style feta, optional
- ½ cup chopped coriander
- Hot pepper sauce such as Culleys or Tabasco Jalapeno sauce, to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a small frying pan and add the ham. Cook for several minutes until browned, then add spring onions. Cook for 3-4 minutes more, just until the spring onions start to wilt. Turn off the heat.
- Whisk eggs with a large pinch of salt, the cream, ham and spring onions. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium-sized non-stick frying pan over low heat. Use a heat diffuser such as a Simmer Mat if you have one as it will provide a beautifully even heat (if you use a heat diffuser cook eggs over a medium heat or they will take an age to cook). Add eggs, stirring with a wooden spoon more or less continuously, but slowly, for about 7 minutes all up, until eggs set in creamy flakes; don’t over-cook. Sprinkle with cheese and parsley. Turn off the heat.
- Have tortillas wrapped in foil and warming in the oven (or microwave briefly, wrapped in paper towels). Immediately the eggs are ready, remove from oven and foil, spoon on scrambled eggs then top with feta, if using, and coriander. Sprinkle with hot sauce to taste, roll up and eat!
- If using chicken, reheat in the same way as the ham. If using mushrooms, slice and fry in sizzling butter over a highish heat until golden. Season with salt and pepper. Hot-smoked salmon does not need heating – simply fry the spring onions on their own in a little butter, or leave them out. Chicken can be added to the eggs but mushrooms and salmon are best spooned on top of the eggs once they are cooked.
- Serving Size: 4
For more recipes and tips by Julie Biuso visit http://sharedkitchen.co.nz
Recipes Credit: Julie Biuso at http://sharedkitchen.co.nz
Photography Credit: Aaron McLean http://www.aaronmclean.com