Bursting with flavour and goodness you’ll love a slice of this TexMex inspired pie. For Brunch, lunch, dinner or picnics it’s so yummy!
- 30 mL hot sauce (optional)
- 9 eggs
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 500 grams Sausages
- 1 tin of baked beans
- 700 grams frozen pastry (shortcrust or puff)
- Fry the onion in a little oil until cooked.
- Add the beans and hot sauce.
- Cook the mixture to reduce the liquid (about 10 minutes gentle frying), stirring frequently.
- This mixture will be at the base of the pie
- A 20.5 x 20.5cm cake pan, or a round 23cm metal pie dish is ideal.
- Heat oven to 200°C. Use two thirds of the pastry to line a shallow greased 23cm pie tin (roll pastry out on a floured board if you’re using a block rather than sheets).
- Spread the bean mixture over the bottom of the pastry.
- Add a layer of sliced sausage.
- Crack eggs on top and season with salt and pepper.
- Use the remaining pastry to make a lid. Crimp the pastry edges together with your fingers and trim off any excess.
- Use the trimmings to decorate the pie if you wish (attach these with a dab of egg wash).
- Cut four small vents in the pastry lid with a sharp knife.
- Brush with beaten egg mix and bake 35 – 40 minutes until rich golden brown and crispy.
- Serve warm – or cold.
- Serving Size: 4