No flour? Gluten Free? NO problem! Nici Wickes has created this fantastic flourless chocolate cake with a special ingredient she says makes all the difference!
Take her advice and make this cake… let’s get cracking.
You can also watch Nici Wickes making this cake in her home kitchen on this link>
100g dark chocolate (at least 65% cacao), chopped
4 medium eggs
100g caster sugar
100g (about 1 cup) ground almonds
½– ¾ cup frozen berries, defrosted & drained
Cocoa & Icing sugar for dusting
Whipped cream – to serve
- Preheat oven to 170 fan bake. Grease the sides of 21cm spring form cake tin. Line bottom with baking paper.
- In a small saucepan gently melt butter and chocolate over a low heat. Remove from heat, cover with a tea towel and set aside.
- Separate the eggs into two bowls. Add sugar to the yolk and beat until very pale, thick and foamy. Whisk cooled chocolate/butter mix until smooth and fold into egg/sugar mix, along with almonds until a smooth batter. Beat egg whites until soft peak stage and fold these into the cake batter in 2-3 batches.
- Gently scrape mixture into prepared tin. Arrange berries on top (they will sink during cooking but don’t worry).
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until skewer inserted comes out clean. Leave to cool for 10 minutes in the tin before running a knife around the edges and releasing.
- Dust with cocoa & icing sugar and serve warm with whipped cream.
Recipe and Image: Nici Wickes
Keywords: Flourless cake