Packed full of vegetables and bursting with rich flavours, this frittata is delicious and a great value meal.
- 1 medium size kumara (about 500g) cooked and cut into cubes 4 rashers of bacon, chopped 1 medium size onion finely chopped 2 big handfuls of fresh spinach, chopped, or 1 packet of frozen spinach 8 eggs 3/4 cup grated tasty cheese 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs or a small handful of fresh herbs A little oil for frying Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat grill to medium, or oven to 170°C.
- In a 26cm frying pan or similar fry the bacon and onion until cooked. Add the cooked kumara and chopped spinach. If you are using frozen spinach allow it to thaw and then squeeze the moisture out of it in a clean tea towel – or between your hands.
- Whisk the eggs together and season with salt and pepper.
- Add herbs to the egg mixture. Pour the egg mixture over the bacon and vegetables in the pan and stir to mix evenly.
- Allow to cook for about 1 minute then add half the cheese and stir again gently to allow the runny egg to flow onto the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on to the top of the frittata and finish cooking under the grill (or just bake in the oven). You’ll need to use an oven proof pan or small casserole dish if you want to cook this in the oven.
- Potatoes work well instead of kumara. Silverbeet can be used instead of spinach. Leave out the bacon for a meat free variation. Parsley, thyme, sage, basil, chervil herbs work well with this recipe. A nice addition is tomato when using basil.
- Serving Size: 4