A filling breakfast of an egg and a slice of toast – makes a great value breakfast for less than 50 cents.
- 1 x egg
- 1 x slice of bread – to toast
- Pinch salt and pepper
- Grease a microwave-proof coffee mug and add a pinch of salt in the bottom of the cup.
- Crack an egg into the cup.
- Pierce the yolk with a fork.
- Cover with plastic food wrap.
- For soft-cooked egg: Cook in microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds and then stand (still covered with the glad wrap) for another 10 seconds.
- For hard-cooked egg: Cook in microwave on HIGH for 40 seconds and then stand (still covered with the glad wrap) for another 30 seconds.
- Serve on a slice of toast with a little cracked pepper.
- Serving Size: 1
NOTE: The NZ Food Safety Authority (Aug 2008) recommends that when using household cling film for microwave cooking, don’t let it touch the food as it melts at a low temperature and can potentially release chemicals if it drops onto the food. Leaving a corner of the dish uncovered to let steam escape reduces the risk of the film splitting and blowing off and settling on the food.