A great recipe for summer BBQs. Adding pickled jalapenos to the salad adds a little extra heat and taste…
1 kg mini or new potatoes, halved
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
2 small onions, thinly sliced
2 tbsp thyme leaves
1/3 cup chopped dill
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 dill pickles, thinly sliced
1 tbsp pickled jalapeno peppers, finely chopped (optional)
1 tbsp pickled jalapeno peppers liquid (optional)
4 tsp salt
Pinch black pepper, cracked
- Place the potatoes in a large pot of cold salted water, bring to a boil over medium-high heat then reduce to low and simmer until potatoes are fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Cook eggs to just under hard boiled (approx 5 minutes) Let cool; peel, quarter and set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium-low heat, heat oil and melt butter. Add onions and thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer onions to a plate and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, stir together dill, mayonnaise, pickles, pickled jalapenos, pickled jalapeno liquid, and salt. Gently fold in potatoes, onions and eggs.
- Season to taste with black pepper, to serve.
TIPS: Dress the salad with fresh small celery leaves if available, for some extra flavour and colour.
Image and Recipe Credit: © 2019 Egg Farmers of Canada. www.eggs.ca