Watch the ‘how-to-video’ below…
Using a collapsible cake tin is a trick that helps make this frittata bake higher than the norm, and it looks great when served.
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
- 250g bag spinach, tough stalks removed and roughly chopped
- 10 eggs
- 3/4 cup cream
- 200g feta, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh mint
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a 22cm cake pan with baking paper or if using a spring form pan then line with foil and spray/brush with oil.
- 2. In a large frying pan, heat the oil and gently cook the onion and garlic for 12-15 minutes until tender.
- 2. Add the spinach to the pan, increase the heat and cook untill wilted and excess liquid has evaporated.
- 3. In a bowl beat the eggs and cream until combined. Mix in the feta, dill and mint along with the spinach and onion. Season with salt and pepper.
- 4. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the centre is just set.
- 5. Serve warm or at room temperature with chutney or garlic yoghurt sauce.
Recipe Tips and Hints
- Silverbeet can be used instead of spinach but make sure you chop it finely and don’t use tough stalks.
- Red onions have a milder flavour but you can use a brown onion instead.
- Dill has an interesting flavour that is slightly aniseed. It is readily available in supermarkets but for a different flavour you can substitute chopped parsley.
- Serving Size: 6