Watch the how-to-video below…
Tuna Tortilla Bake
A delicious new idea using tortillas for the base and a cheesy tasty tuna and egg middle.
Write a review
- 5 eggs
- 50g butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 jumbo sized tortilla wraps
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 370g canned tuna
- 1 cup grated tasty cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Brush a 24cm round baking dish with oil.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil and cook the eggs for 10 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water before peeling and slicing into quarters.
- Melt the butter over a moderate heat in the same saucepan and mix in the flour, cook stirring for 2 minutes before gradually adding the milk, whisking continuously until the mixture bubbles and thickens. Remove from the heat and stir through the mayonnaise.
- Lay a tortilla in the base of the baking dish and cover with half of the red onion, celery, tuna and sliced egg. Spoon over a third of the sauce, sprinkle with a third of the cheese, half the parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with the another tortilla and repeat the process.
- Finish off with a tortilla on top, spread with the sauce and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the top is crisp and golden. Serve with a green salad.
- Tip: If you don’t have a large round baking dish then just trim the tortilla wraps and arrange the pieces in a rectangular dish eg; a lasagne dish or similar.
- Serves 4-5. Cost $14.75
I Love Eggs http://eggs.org.nz/