Easy to make and delicious!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large apples – e.g. Granny Smith, Braeburn, Gala
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Flour, for dredging apples
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg, milk and vanilla. Add wet ingredients into the dry and stir just to combine. Let batter rest in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Make cinnamon sugar; combine cinnamon and sugar in a large dish and set aside.
- In a deep fryer, or wide, heavy bottomed pot no more than half full, heat oil to 190°C. Peel, core and slice apples into 1cm thick rings. Toss slices with lemon juice to stop them from browning.
- Dredge apple rings lightly in flour, shaking off excess. Dip into batter to evenly coat.
- Fry in small batches, turning once. Fritters are ready when batter is golden brown and apple is tender, about 3-4 minutes. Drain on a paper towel lined tray. While fritters are still warm, toss lightly in cinnamon sugar.
- Recipe and Image Credit: Egg Farmers of Canada