A classically delicious way to enjoy NZ’s seasonal delicacy.
- 3 large eggs
- 200 g Whitebait
- 1 pinch salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- Beat the eggs with a fork in a bowl until light and frothy. Stir the whitebait into the egg mix. Add a good pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Mix together well.
- In a large frying pan add the oil and butter to the pan on a medium heat. When the butter starts to bubble add the egg and whitebait mixture in even tablespoonfuls and cook for one-two minutes, then flip and cook the other side until lightly golden brown.
- When cooked transfer to a warmed spare plate. Continue cooking in batches of 5-6 fritters until the mixture is finished.
- Serve with fresh lemon wedges – and slices of fresh buttered white bread for the classic traditional Kiwi serving.