A classic – moist and delicious. An easy cake to make.
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 4 eggs – separated
- 2 tablespoons of lemon zest (grated rind)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups of Almond Meal (finely ground almonds)
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- 125g lite creme fraiche or cream
- Heat oven to 170ºC then grease a 20cm cake pan or similar. Whip the egg yolks with 1/3 cup of sugar until they are frothy – you can do this with an electric mixer, electric beaters or a stick blender. Add the lemon rind, juice and olive oil. Fold this mixture through the almond meal, corn flour and 1/3 cup of sugar in a bowl. In another bowl whisk the egg whites until frothy then add the remaining 1/3 cup of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the almond meal mixture – Folding gently so that you don’t loose the air that you have whipped into the egg whites and almond mixture. Pour or spoon into your greased cakr tin and bake for about 40 minutes or until a metal skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to stand in the pan for 5 minutes then top with creme fraiche.
- Top with caramelised lemon (as in photo) – to caramelise lemons fry slice gently in a pan with a little sugar until they soften, then allow to cool
- Use orange instead of lemon
- Serving Size: 8