This Tex-Mex style pie is very tasty and alluring with a lovely smokey ranch flavour.
- 9 eggs
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 x chorizo sausages, sliced
- 1 x 330g tin of black beans
- 6 slices bacon of your choice, chopped
- 700 grams frozen pastry (shortcrust or puff)
- A 20.5 x 20.5cm cake pan, or a round or rectangle 23cm metal pie dish is ideal.
- Heat oven to 200°C. Use two thirds of the pastry to line a shallow greased 23cm pie tin (roll pastry out on a floured board if you’re using a block rather than sheets).
- Drain the beans and place in a medium bowl. Add the sliced onion, smoked paprika, cumin, chorizo slices, and bacon. Stir well.
- Spread the bean mixture over the bottom of the pastry.
- Crack 8 eggs on top and gently mix in with a fork. Season with salt and pepper.
- Use the remaining pastry to make a lid. Crimp the pastry edges together with a fork and trim off any excess.
- Cut four small vents in the pastry lid with a sharp knife.
- Brush with a beaten egg mix and bake 35 – 40 minutes until rich golden brown and crispy.
- Serve warm, or cold with your favourite spicy relish.
- Eggs are packed full of goodness and many natural vitamins and minerals so essential for maintaining good health for all ages, and gram-packed full of natural protein to keep you fuller longer. For more delicious recipes and to register for free monthly recipe newsletters, e-recipe books, how to videos, health and nutritional information and more visit www.eggs.org.nz
- Serving Size: 4