This is Chocolate Soufflé a classic and much easier to make than you’d think!
- 95g granulated sugar
- 140g dark chocolate
- 3 large egg yolks at room temp
- 6 large egg whites at room temp
- pinch of salt
- butter for ramekins
- cocoa powder or caster sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Butter 6 individual ramekins (you can use coffe mugs) and sprinkle with sugar.
- This gives the souffle a surface to climb up.
- Melt chocolate pieces in a metal bowl over gently simmering water.
- Stir constantly (Overheated chocolate will ruin a recipe).
- Once the chocolate is melted, remove the bowl from heat and stir in the egg yolks.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites with salt on medium speed until they hold soft glossy peaks. Continue beating egg whites on high speed, gradually adding the remaining 1/3 cup sugar, until the egg whites hold stiff glossy peaks.
- Gently stir 1/3 of the eggs whites into the chocolate mixture, then carefully fold in the remaining egg whites.
- The chocolate mixture should be light and bubbly, and evenly coloured, without egg white streaks.
- Spoon your soufflé mixture into the prepared ramekins Bake for 12 – 15 minutes until risen with a crusty exterior.
- Serve with a dusting of cocoa or castor sugar if desired.
- You can allow the souffles to sit for up to 30mins before baking
- Serving Size: 6