Flavoured with regular and smoked paprika, this light and easy take on the classic and very popular Spanish rice dish is made with chicken and garnished with hard boiled eggs.
* For vegetarian or a meat free option simply substitute the chicken stock with vegetable stock. The chicken can be substituted with prawns or shrimp – or leave out entirely.
4 hard boiled eggs, sliced or quartered
3 tbsp olive oil, divided
500g boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 cm strips*
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper, divided
1 onion, diced
1 red capsicum, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 ¼ cups of paella rice
1 tbsp paprika
½ tsp smoked paprika
3 cups (750 ml) reduced-salt chicken stock*
1 cup canned diced tomatoes
2 bay leaves
¾ cup frozen peas
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in large pan on medium heat; add chicken and half of the salt and pepper and cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until the chicken is browned and cooked through. Remove from pan; set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in pan; cook onion, red capsicum and garlic for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in rice and paprika, smoked paprika, saffron and remaining salt and pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until rice is well coated.
- Stir in stock, tomatoes and bay leaves; bring to boil, then reduce to simmer. Cook for 20 minutes. Stir in peas; cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Arrange chicken strips over paella. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with hard boiled eggs and parsley.
- For a vegetarian dish, omit the chicken and add extra capsicum. Substitute vegetable stock for the chicken stock.
- For a party-style paella add 250 g peeled and deveined shrimp. Cook shrimp along with the chicken in the last 2 minutes of cooking time.
- If you can’t find paella rice, substitute Arborio rice.
- Garnish with strips of store-bought roasted capsicum if desired.
- Recipe and Image Credit: © 2019 Egg Farmers of Canada. www.eggs.ca
Keywords: Paella Rice