- 175g butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 375g self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- A dash of milk
- 1 – 2 cups fresh or frozen berries orsliced fresh fruit such as apricots, peaches or plums
- 1 Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Cream the butter and sugar until pale and light, add the vanilla and beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Fold in the flour and salt and add a dash of milk, then spread the batter over the base of a greased sponge roll tin.
- Scatter the fruit over the top and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for around 20 minutes or until golden, risen and set in the middle.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.
- Serve warm or cold as a slice or dessert.
- Serving Size: 4