As featured in Dish magazine, Feb-March 2012. Photograph by Aaron McLean
- 1 kilogram Jersey Benne or other small waxy potatoes, scrubbed
- 6 eggs
- 6 rashers streaky bacon
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp Pesto or to taste (see below) NB you can also use ready made pesto mix available in the deli section of supermarkets
For the Pesto:
- 1/2 cup roasted almonds, roughly chopped
- Small handful each of flat-leaf parsley and rocket
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 squeeze of lemon juice (approx 1 tsp)
To make Pesto:
- Put the almonds, herbs, garlic and Parmesan in a food processor and roughly chop.
- Add the oil and lemon juice and pulse to make a coarse paste.
- Season with a little salt and pepper and tip into a large bowl.
To make the salad:
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender but not falling apart.
- Drain well.
- When cool enough to handle peel if desired and cut into large pieces.
- Combine with the pesto mix. NB: The potatoes will absorb more flavour if dressed when warm.
- Place the eggs in a saucepan of cold water and bring to the boil.
- Cook for 4 minutes.
- Drain and cool under cold running water then carefully peel.
- Cook the bacon in a hot sauté pan until crisp.
- Drain on kitchen towels.
- Put the potatoes on a large serving platter.
- Break the eggs in half and place over the top.
- Scrape out any dressing left in the bowl and spoon over the eggs.
- Crumble over the bacon.
- Serving Size: 6