Niki says if your’e living alone or can’t be bothered cooking it can be tempting to eat one of two ways: eating the same food all week long so you use everything up, or grazing and eating toast for dinner because cooking seems like too much bother if it’s
‘just for me’. This is a tasty egg-based dish from her 5+ A Day e-cookbook. If you’re not keen on tortillas, try it with toasted whole grain bread instead.
¼ red or brown onion, diced
1 small potato, cut in small dice
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup silver beet or spinach leaves
½ can chilli beans
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons milk
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
2 small tortillas or wraps (or use 1 larger one)
Coriander, parsley or basil Chilli flakes, chilli sauce and unsweetened yoghurt to garnish (optional)
- Heat a large pan over a medium heat and spray or drizzle with oil. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add potato and broccoli and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add ½ cup water to pan and let simmer until water has evaporated and potatoes are cooked through. Add spinach and cook for a minute or two, until wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Set vegetables aside and keep warm.
- Warm beans in a pot or microwave until warmed through.
- Return pan to heat. Mix eggs, milk and paprika with a little salt and pepper. Scramble eggs gently until just cooked. Set aside.
- Warm tortillas according to pack instructions.
- Place tortillas on plate and top with beans, vegetables and egg. Garnish with avocado and herbs, and chilli flakes or sauce and yoghurt if you like.
TIP: Use the leftover beans for breakfast or lunch, on toast topped with an egg or grated cheese