This dish originaly comes from Tunisia but is now widely eaten across North Africa and the Middle East for breakfast. It’s also delicious for brunch, lunch or an easy dinner.
Ripe summer tomatoes, onion, capsicum and spices are cooked together in one pan. Then eggs are added and poached. So tasty!
- 4 large ripe tomatoes (or 1 tin of whole of chopped tomatoes)
- 1 red or yellow capsicum, diced
- 1 medium onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- A little chilli to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 6 – 8 eggs
- 1 Crusty bread, Turkish bread or toast to serve
- Fry the onion in the pan.
- Once the onion has softened add the chilli and garlic and fry gently for 3 minutes.
- Add the cumin, allow to cook for about 1 minute so that the cumin releases its aroma.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the capsicum.
- Now it’s time to add the eggs.
- Make sure the mixture in the pan is moist enough to poach eggs.
- If not, simple add some water.
- Then crack the eggs into the pan and cook covered on a low heat until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Serve on warm bread
- Serving Size: 3