A super simple fritter recipe – great for breakfasts, brunches and lunches – or even a lighter dinner. Kids love them too!
- 600g vegetables*
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, whisked
- Grate the vegetables and lightly cook in a frying pan with a little oil if needed. This is recommended for firm vegetables such as carrot, parnsip and kumara.
- Place the vegetables in a bowl and mix in the flour, baking powder, salt, eggs and herbs, cheese and spices as using (see below).
- Heat a film of oil in a large frying pan and cook ¼ cupfuls of mixture until golden on both sides and cooked through.
- Serve with chutney and salad.
- *Vegetable and flavour variations to try;
- Courgette with 1 teaspoon dried dill, ¼ cup chopped mint, 100g crumbled feta and 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind.
- Carrot with 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 3 chopped spring onions and 2 tablespoons chopped parsley.
- Kumara with 1 teaspoon dried dill, 3 chopped spring onions, 100g crumbled feta, 1 tablespoon chopped parsley.
- Cauliflower florets roughly chopped with 1 teaspoon curry powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon ground turmeric, ½ teaspoon ground coriander, 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Tips and Hints
- For crispy fritters use half rice flour and half regular flour.
- Rice flour can also be used in total to make gluten free fritters.
- Transferring the fritters to a preheated oven (180°C) helps to make sure the fritters are cooked through and also keep them warm while the others are still cooking.
- Excess feta can be frozen and added to recipes at a later date. The flavour will stay the same although it may lose some texture.
- Serving Size: 4