Make a satisfying healthy meal for a crowd with this customisable pie recipe. Create your own version of the strata by using whatever leftover veggies you have and use your favourite cheese.
3 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp dried oregano
2 red capsicums, seeded and thinly sliced
2 large green zucchinis, thinly sliced
1/2 cup (125 mL) low fat cream
Salt and pepper
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
8 slices of bread, cut into 1 cm cubes
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Prepare a 23 cm cake tin or casserole dish by greasing the bottom and sides with a little oil.
- In a large pan heat 1 tbsp of oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until transparent (about 2 minutes) stirring occasionally. Add garlic and oregano and cook for 1 minute. Add capsicum and cook until tender, stirring frequently. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in the skillet; add zucchini and cook until tender (about 4 minutes), stirring frequently. Drain mixture and pat dry. Add to onion mix and stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and cream until blended. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in vegetables, cheese, and half of the bread cubes.
- Arrange the remaining bread cubes in the bottom of the greased pan to form a crust. Pour egg mixture into the pan. Bake, uncovered, until golden and set, approx. 55 to 60 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Run a knife around the pie edges to loosen. Remove from the pan and cut into wedges to serve.
Recipe and Image Credit: Egg Farmers of Canada. www.eggs.ca