The world is going crazy for cloud eggs – here’s what they are, and how to make them.
The most important thing about cloud eggs is not the low calorie count or their visual effect, it’s their incredible taste and texture. The cloud whites are so light and velvety in the middle and deliciously crispy around the edges. And the yolk is dreamily soft and runny, and filters through the cloud to complete this amazing new taste experience. In a word – Heavenly!
- 4 x Size 7 eggs
- (Optional: Cooked bacon bits, ham, herbs, chilli flakes – see below)
- Pre heat oven to 230C (200C Fan Bake)
- Separate egg yolks from the whites. Set yolks aside in a bowl.
- Whisk the egg whites in a bowl until soft peaks appear (at this stage you can gently fold in any extra tasty ingredients you want e.g: precooked chopped bacon or fresh ham, chilli flakes, chopped herbs etc).
- Using a spoon or silicon spatula place 4 equally sized whipped white ‘clouds’ on an oven tray pre lined with baking paper, leaving small dips in the middle of each cloud to add the egg yolks into later.
- Bake the white clouds at 230C (200C Fan Bake) for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove tray from the oven and gently place the egg yolks back into the middle of the ‘clouds’ – use a dessert spoon for this.
- Return tray to the oven for 3 minutes to complete the cooking until the yolks are gently cooked (but still soft), and the whites begin to golden.
- Remove from oven and serve your cloud eggs on fresh toast with butter. Sprinkle with cut chives and some freshly cracked black pepper, or freshly chopped herbs or chilli flakes.
- Cracked pepper, fresh cut herbs and hot buttered toast to serve.
- To make more or less cloud eggs simply multiply or reduce the recipe with the number of eggs per person desired.
- Serving Size: 4