This is a really rich fudgey chocolate log (it’s also gluten free but don’t let that put you off)! Fill it with whipped cream and cherries but you can use berries, try a flavoured cream or mousse, or a lighter option with half cream and half yoghurt – it will still be delicious.
- 6 eggs
- 175 g sugar
- 175 g dark chocolate
- Line a Swiss roll tin (approx 33 cm x 23 cm) with non-stick baking paper.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler – place a small pan with a little water in it on the element to heat.
- Put a heat proof bowl over the top not touching the water, and break the chocolate into the bowl. The chocolate will melt gently. If chocolate overheats it ‘seizes,’ becoming stiff and granular, and is ruined.
- Separate the eggs ensuring absolutely no yolk makes it into the whites or they won’t whip up properly.
- Beat the yolks and sugar until pale and fluffy then wash the beaters in hot soapy water before beating the whites.
- Beat the whites until stiff.
- Stir the melted chocolate into the yolk mixture then fold in the whites.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pan and bake at 180°C for 30 minutes.
- Turn onto a clean tea towel and gently peel off the baking paper.
- Roll the roulade up gently in the tea towel from the short side, and leave to cool.
- To assemble the roulade, gently unroll (expect a few cracks), spread with cream and scatter on berries or cherries.
- Re-roll then slide onto a platter and dust with icing sugar.
- Keep refrigerated until needed.
- Serving Size: 6