French Toast is a very good way to use up old bread and makes an incredible breakfast or brunch. Any bread will work well for this recipe…
FRENCH TOAST INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup (125 mL) eggnog mixture (see below)
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla
8 slices bread of your choice
Fresh assorted berries
EGGNOG MIX INGREDIENTS
1/3 cup liquid honey or sugar
1/8 tsp salt
4 cups trim milk, divided
1 tbsp vanilla extract
- In a bowl whisk eggs, eggnog mix*, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and vanilla.
- Melt 1 knob of butter in non-stick pan over a medium heat.
- Dip bread slices in egg mixture, soaking for 10 seconds. Let excess drip off.
- Fry bread in the pan turning once, for 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat with remaining slices, adding more butter as needed. Serve with maple syrup and fresh berries.
EGGNOG MIX INSTRUCTIONS:
- Whisk eggs, honey and salt in large saucepan. Gradually add 2 cups (500 mL) milk. Cook and stir over medium-low heat for 12 to 15 minutes until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. (NB Do not let the mixture boil.)
- Pour into a large heatproof bowl; stir in remaining milk and vanilla. Place bowl in ice water, stirring frequently, until mixture is cool, about 15 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
CREDIT: Recipe and image courtesy of Egg Farmers of Canada.