Fudgey brownies are every kid’s favourite young – and old!. These brownies make a lovely dessert served warm with a dollop of yoghurt or cream They are a great go-to recipe for birthdays and celebrations, or maybe just enjoy a slice with a cuppa.
- 160 g (1 ¼ cups) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 170g butter or margarine
- 90g (¾ cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 200g (1 cup) packed brown sugar
- 250g (1 cup) sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Baking spray
- Ingredients (Icing)
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine
- 25 g (¼ cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g (2 cups) sifted icing sugar
- 60 ml (¼ cup) Trim milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl; set aside.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat; remove from heat. Stir in cocoa. Beat in brown sugar, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients and walnuts.
- Spray 23 cm square pan with Baking Spray. Spread batter in pan.
- Bake in preheated 180°C/350°F oven for 40 minutes. Do not over bake.
- Cool completely before icing.
- Instructions (Fudgey Icing)
- Melt butter over low heat in medium saucepan. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cocoa and vanilla. Stir in icing sugar and milk until smooth and of spreading consistency. Spread icing over top of cooled brownie.
- Cut into squares for serving.
- Using Baking Spray in your everyday baking and cooking can help you keep the flavour, and reduce fat intake. In this delicious recipe, by spraying the pan for one second with Baking Spray instead of using 2 tsp of butter – it eliminates 7 grams of fat.
- Recipe Credit: Egg Farmers of Canada
- Serving Size: 20