This is a simple easy to make recipe – a bit of chopping, a quick whisk, and into the oven. This strata is colourful, rich and really tasty. Add or adapt the ingredients according to what you have in the fridge.
- 6 eggs
- 4 generous cups of cubed, day old bread – about 2/3 of a baguette stick
- 150g cream cheese
- 150 ml milk
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 cup of chopped mushrooms
- 1 courgette diced
- 1/2 a red capsicum chopped
- A pinch of chilli flakes
- 100g shaved ham
- 1 Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup grated cheese – use Edam, feta, parmesan…whatever you prefer
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and gently fry the onion, capsicum and courgette until softened.
- Add mushrooms and continue cooking until they begin to soften.
- While the vegetables are cooking, slice bread into cubes. In a large bowl, add the eggs one at a time to the cream cheese, beating to combine.
- Add the chilli flakes and season with salt and pepper.
- Fold bread pieces into the egg mixture, soaking thoroughly.
- Arrange ½ the bread in an oven proof dish approx 26cm x 18cm.
- Sprinkle on ½ the vegetables and tear ½ the shaved ham into smallish pieces and scatter on top.
- Top with another layer of the soaked bread, the remainder of the vegetables and the rest of the shaved ham.
- Top with the grated cheese and bake at 180° for 35 minutes or until golden.
- Serving Size: 4