Here’s a recipe idea for your weekend. Former NZ Woman’s Weekly Food Editor Nici Wickes’ has created this wonderful Leftover Loaf. Nici says “I make this when I’m doing a fridge clean-out and discover some sagging vegetables and scraps of cheese that need using up – but mostly I make it because it’s absolutely delicious!
Makes 10-12 slices
- 2 cups cooked or grated veggies – eg carrots, parsnips, spinach, beans, peas, corn
- 2–3 spring onions, sliced thinly
- Handful fresh herbs, chopped (I use parsley, mint, coriander)
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 100g grated or crumbled cheeses + extra for topping
- ¼ cup olive oil + extra for drizzling
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Olive oil – for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Line a standard loaf tin with baking paper.
- In a large bowl combine grated veggies, spring onion, herbs, flour, eggs, cheese, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly then scrape into lined loaf tin. Sprinkle over a little more cheese and a final drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool for 10-15 minutes before turning out to cool.
- Slice thickly and top with butter or your favourite chutney – or both!
Recipe and image credit: Nici Wickes