These protein-packed sandwiches are a delicious start to your day – at sunrise or even a little later.
- 3 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh trim milk
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp (5 ml) lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
- 4 large eggs
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 4 slices fresh bread – Multigrain, Sourdough or Italian
- Place mayonnaise in small microwave-safe bowl; whisk in milk. Microwave on Medium (50% power) just until hot, about 45 seconds, stirring after 30 seconds. Whisk in Parmesan cheese, lemon juice and rind until smooth. Set sauce aside.
- Spray large non-stick frypan or skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat. Crack eggs into pan or onto skillet. Break yolks with edge of spatula. Cook eggs to preferred hardness.
- Place tomato slices on 2 slices of bread. Top with fried egg. Spoon about 1 tbsp warm sauce over each egg. Cover with second slice of bread. Serve.
- The Parmesan cheese sauce can be made ahead and refrigerated. When ready to serve, warm briefly in microwave on Medium-High (75% power).
- Instead of sliced bread, you can use English muffins or burger buns.
- Recipe Credit: Egg Farmers of Canada
- Serving Size: 4