Ahh – the classic bacon and egg pie. A classic Kiwi staple at any picnic and gathering. The winning pie recipe is in hot debate but this recipe provides the perfect base for you to tweak as you see fit! How do you like your pie? Filled with delish additions like spinach, mushrooms, and cheese? Or, do you prefer to enjoy the uncomplicated classic without all the trimmings? Check out your new favourite recipe herePrint
The bacon and egg pie is a classic Kiwi staple for any day at the beach – but the recipe for the perfect pie is contentious. This recipe is the perfect base for you to tweak how you see fit. Whether you decide to leave the potatoes out or jazz it up with spinach, feta and mushrooms – this is your pie, your way.
350g puff pastry, or 2 sheets of ready rolled puff pastry
300g streaky bacon
½ cup cream (milk will also work well)
2 potatoes, cooked and thinly sliced (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C fan bake, making sure you leave the oven tray inside to heat up.
- Cut a piece of baking paper to fit a 40cm x 30cm oven or roasting dish, ensuring it covers the base and reaches up the sides. Lay the baking paper out on your bench, dust with a little flour and roll out two-thirds of the pastry to cover the paper (or press your 2 pastry sheets together to the same shape as the paper). lift the paper with the pastry, fitting it into your pie dish.
- Neatly line the pastry with 5-6 strips of bacon, then top with the thinly sliced potato, if using.
- In a mixing bowl, lightly whisk 6 of the eggs with the cream, salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the bacon and potato. Crack the remaining 8 eggs over the pie and top with the remaining bacon.
- Place your pie on the heated oven tray and bake until the pastry is starting to puff (12 – 15 minutes).
- Reduce the heat to 180°C and continue baking until the pastry is golden and the egg is set (a further 30 – 40 minutes).
- Serve warm or at room temperature. It will keep in a covered container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- We love biting into a whole egg and getting that glorious sunny yolk but if you prefer to break the yolks up that’s fine too.
- Wanting to pack in some veg? Take your pie to the next level by sprinkling a handful of baby spinach, half a finely chopped red onion, 150g of crumbled feta and 100g of finely chopped mushroom over the first layer of bacon.
Keywords: Bacon Egg Pie