Hash brown potatoes make a fantastic little nest to hold this egg breakfast. A quick and easy recipe that you can even microwave when you’re in a hurry.
- 1 cup frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 3/4 cup grated medium or old Cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- Spray four 1/2 or 3/4 cup (125 or 175 mL) ramekins with cooking spray.
- Stir together hash brown potatoes and cheese. Divide mixture between ramekins, covering bottoms and pushing mixture slightly up sides to form a nest.
- Crack one egg into each nest. Pierce egg yolks with toothpick or fork several times. Place ramekins in microwave.
- Microwave on Medium-High (70% power) until whites are set and yolks are cooked as desired, 3-1/2 to 4 minutes. If yolks are slightly underdone, let stand for 1 minute to continue cooking.
- Frozen hash brown potatoes can be quickly defrosted in the microwave.
- To prepare this recipe in the oven, spray bottoms and sides of 6-cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Proceed with steps 2 and 3, then bake in preheated 350°F (180°C) oven until whites are set and yolks are cooked as desired, 18 to 20 minutes. Run knife around inside of each muffin cup, then remove.
- Recipe Credit: Egg Farmers of Canada
- Serving Size: 4