This world famous dish from Mexico makes a hearty breakfast or brunch but can be enjoyed at any time of the day. Traditionally made with Chipotles (smoked jalapenos), we’ve substituted some easier to find ingredients.
- 4 large flour or corn tortillas
- 8 eggs
- 1 can of tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1 fresh chilli finely copped or 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 tblspoon smoked paprika
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh corriander or parsley
- Heat oven to 100°C
- Meanwhile fry onions, garlic, tomatoes, chilli, salt and paprika for about 20mins until the tomato liquid has reduced.
- Once cooked set aside and warm the tortillas in the oven. At the same time fry or poach the eggs.
- Place on tortilla on each plate and top with eggs and tomato slasa mixture.
- Garnish with fresh herbs.
- Add avocado and sour cream or refried beans.
- A fresh tomato salsa can be used instead of the cooked version
- Serving Size: 4