Delicious, irresistible, and a Kiwi favourite since… well forever! These pies are great value, they can feed a crowd and can be enjoyed at home or work for lunch or dinner, at concerts and festivals, picnics, at the beach, boating… wherever. Nothing beats the taste of a classic kiwi bacon and egg pie!
- 400g block (or 6 sheets) of store bought ‘puff’ pastry
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup bacon, chopped
- 1 Spring onion, chopped
- 1 Egg yolk, beaten with a tablespoon of water
- Salt and pepper – to taste
A Bacon & Egg Pie is so easy to make and a real kiwi classic enjoyed by generations. They are always popular and great for lunches, brunches, dinner or a picnic.
You will need a 20.5 x 20.5cm cake pan, or alternatively a round 23cm pie dish.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Roll out two thirds of the pastry on a floury bench to line the base and sides of a shallow lightly greased 23cm pie tin OR if using ready rolled pastry sheets, place the sheets to line the base and sides of pie pan or tin evenly.
- Scatter over the spring onion and half of the bacon, break in the eggs and season, then scatter over the remaining bacon.
- Roll out the remaining pastry to make a lid and place on the top. If using sheets, laythe sheets evenly across the top of the pie dish.
- Crimp the edges of the pastry together with your fingers and trim off any excess.
- Use the trimmings to decorate the top of the pie if you wish (attach with a dab of egg wash).
- Cut four small vents in the pastry lid with a sharp knife.
- Brush the top with the beaten egg mix and bake for 35 – 40 minutes until golden brown and crispy on the top.
- Serve the pie warm or cold, along with a favourite chutney of your choice.
TIPS: Purists prefer their pie with only bacon and egg. Nothing else. The spring onions add a little extra taste – but they can be left out.
You can also add tomatoes, diced onions, peas, diced carrots… just make it your way the way you like it.
- Serving Size: 6
Keywords: Bacon and Egg Pie